Wednesday, October 15, 2008

I Hate Fund Raisers

Fund raisers are a necessary evil. I know this. I accept this fact. But I hate it anyway.

I spent my planning time today going through "Uncle Earl's" Great American Mall Deal cards from kids. If they brought the booklet filled in with addresses from friends and family members, the little darlings got two "prizes" with a combined worth of about 25 cents.

That's forty five minutes of my life I'll never get back.

Then, if the paperwork wasn't enough, there are the multiple questions to deal with, such as:
*Why don't I get the prizes? I filled the whole thing out. (See blank pages in back)
*Can I get the prizes if I bring it back tomorrow? (I was nice the first 100 times I said "no," but by the end of the day that question brought forth a GROWL from my throat which produced a SCARED looking kid. At least he did not ask again!)
*Why can't we bring it back tomorrow? (I don't make the rules. Sorry)

The worst part is the kids don't even do the work to earn the prizes. The parents do. I hope they have a good time playing with their cheap plastic ink pens and foam darts.

I told the principal the kids were driving me crazy about this entire thing. She didn't give me much sympathy. She just told me thank you for helping. It certainly wasn't enough compensation.

I think I need a mental health day to recover from this fund raiser.

Here's some more good news. The items ordered from the earlier fund raiser in September should be arriving any day now. I can hear the questions now....

Make that TWO mental health days.

1 comment:

HappyChyck said...

I don't like fundraisers either. A lot of work for little money. At my school I could make bank by selling snacks that are against the healthy regs--Hot Cheetos and Pepsi anyone? It would have to be on the down low, though. If only the kids could keep a secret!

And I really hate those fundraisers where the kids get crappy little prizes for selling so many overpriced doodads--that's from a parent's perspective there. "Sure honey. You can sell 80 items so you can take that limo ride to have pizza at Chuckie Cheese, only we don't know that many people." (Who pays for that?) I would be so much better if I just donated $40 to my kids' school, but what fun is for the kids?