Thursday, October 2, 2008

Out of Room...Out of Patience

I have finally exhausted all the possible room arrangements trying to separate my many male students with behavior problems. They can't get along with anybody, so why keep tiring myself trying to find a suitable deskmate? I finally told them today, "The rest of us are tired of being crowded because you can't get along with anybody else. The room is too small to have so many of you sit alone, touching no other desks. Just get along with whomever you are currently by or be prepared to leave the room and visit the office."

Wonder if it will work? It was the end of the day when I said it, but I did mean it. I have about 6 boys who need to sit totally alone, without their desks touching anyone else's desks. Unfortunately, my room does not allow this--it is simply not big enough. I tried individual seating for a while, but when kids started tripping over feet and chair legs, I decided it just wasn't worth it. The real world requires us to get along with other people; nine year olds can do it, too. Consider it an early life lesson. And they WILL behave and not interrupt my class or they WILL be heading to the hall or office. I have said my peace--AMEN!

I have some kids who can entertain themselves with pencils, which I would think takes great talent. I have one student who constantly destroys pencils. I am not sure what he does to them, but I have seen the end result, and it isn't pretty. I have other kids who bang and tap pencils like drummers in a rock band. Consider my last nerve stepped on. I fear the next time I hear it, I may start singing Metallica songs against my will.

I have tried to explain that I can preach my little heart out all day long, but if one refuses to listen, learning will NOT take place. I ignore as much as I can, but when I look up and see several looking in their desks or down in their laps. I know I've lost them. I want to excite them about learning, and I try, but I am not an entertainer. I am a teacher, and they must be students. In order for the relationship to work, the students have to LISTEN when the teacher is INSTRUCTING.

Thank goodness Fall Break is coming up and I won't have to see the little darlings for a whole week. Fall Break is a wonderful southern invention...we have gotten one week in October for about the last nine years, and it's great. I won't have to hear:
*I don't have a pencil.
*I don't have an eraser.
*I need my pencil sharpened. (even though I JUST sharpened pencils.)
*I need to go to the bathroom.
*What page did you say? (at least 3 times and it's written on the board)
*Where do we put this paper when we're finished? (They don't even know the danger in that one! And, do you see the word "reading" or "math" on it anywhere? And where have we been turning in papers like that for the last nine weeks?)
*I forgot my note, homework, grade slip, etc.
*What are we going to do next? (This one drives me crazy--how about you wait until I finish explaining what we're doing NOW?!)
*Any question beginning with the words "What if..." (Wait until it happens, then we'll deal with it.)

I am soooooooooooo ready for a break, or better yet retirement. Unfortunately, that's still a few years off. I have 3 to 9 years left on my sentence.... And some days, it does feel like a sentence.

I have started saying a prayer every morning when I get off the treadmill. It goes like this: God, grant me patience and grace, and let me face all the joys and challenges you give me today with dignity and grace.

I'm glad He is listening. Otherwise, I don't think I could face another day in the classroom.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awhile ago I went in search of teacher blogs...I have two grade schoolers and, I'm sorry to say, sometimes find myself upset with the teacher; not often, but these things happen...so I decided to seek out the good, the bad, the funny in teaching...what is the teacher doing, thinking, and dealing with...and what of the parents? (insert scary music)

I have struck gold. I am laughing over the lost pencils and erasers and "where is it," because I could probably retire on the money I have spent on such things, and I figure if the teacher is upset that the homework is done in Crayola, the child can explain why. Sorry to put that on your plate.

Enjoy your break. You certainly deserve it...we have 2-1/2 weeks this time of year. Jealous? :)

Marcy said...

Bless you!

God listens when nobody else can, or will.