Wednesday, July 16, 2008

I Believe in the Prozac Nation

As I have read through the blogs of other teachers, the word "depression" has appeared in several. That is a word I am familiar with, as I have battled it for over 20 years. The two major bouts I have experienced were both triggered by school/work related matters. I take anti depressants and have been told I will have to do so for as long as I teach.

Knowing my circumstances, there have been several teachers in my building who have confided in me that they must take medication, too. I've heard of Lexapro, Effexor, Celexa, Wellbutrin, and Paxil being taken by numerous staff members. You have to ask yourself, "What does this say about our profession?"

I had a friend who warned me that teaching was a stressful job. I was in college at the time, however, wide eyed with the belief I could change the world and how could teaching possibly be stressful? Turns out that woman was wiser than I could have ever imagined.

Thank goodness for friends and family who understand. I am lucky to work with other teachers who are supportive and willing to listen. I am lucky that I have insurance to pay for the medication that helps me to keep a job and maintain quality of life. And, I am grateful that through the years I have gained knowledge on dealing with this condition and how to live with it.

To all those teachers who are on the edge of the abyss or have risen from it, I understand. Stay strong!

2 comments:

HappyChyck said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
HappyChyck said...

Yesterday I had lunch with some colleagues, including the office manager and her college-aged daughter. In the course of the conversation, we talked about drug use, and I told the daughter that she'd be surprised by the number of teachers who smoke pot and the many more who drink too much.

Teaching is absolutely a stressful job. There are some ways that are better than others to cope for sure--such as the ones you mention. Thanks for this post. Depression is so common in our profession, but it is not talked about much at all! Now, that's an in-service that might be useful, aye?