Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Professional Development Begins & My Goals

We started professional development this week. We are learning an entirely new computer system, phone system, and assessment programs on-line. It has gone surprisingly smoothly. No one has totally freaked out, and everyone seems to be taking it all in stride. If someone is concerned, they are hiding it well.

I love to watch the rookie teachers during their first professional development days. I am not sure what could explain it any better other than the look of a deer caught in headlights. "I am overwhelmed and completely lost" might as well be tatooed on their foreheads.

I sympathize with them. I remember my first days when I looked at another teacher who was starting out and asked her, "Do you feel overwhelmed?" She admitted she did, and we became friends, helping each other through that first year. I would not turn back the clock and start my career over again for any amount of money. Experience has definitely been the best teacher--there is no substitute for it.

I am also on the path to making changes. This year, I am not going to stay until 5 PM then bring home a bag full, too. I am not going to be the last car off the parking lot every night. I am not going to dwell on school after hours. I am not going to wear myself out to the point that I can't do anything fun on weekends because I have given all my energy to school.

These are my goals:
1. Leave school by 4:30 on MOST days.
2. Leave papers to grade at school.
3. Do FUN things on my computer at night rather than scrounge for websites for kids.
4. Do FUN things on weekends--movies, eat out, find friends I have lost contact with.
5. Learn to accept the things I cannot change, change the things I can, and wisdom to know the difference.
6. Listen to the problems of other people, but do not let them become my own.
7. Devote more time to family, friends, and church.
8. Make new friends that will help me broaden my horizons.

I intend to do each of these things. I will have to constantly work on it, but I am ready for it. I know I say the same things every year, followed by "I really mean it this time." Well, this time, I believe I truly do mean it. It's time to make a change, and I am ready for what lies ahead.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like your list. I addition to teaching goals, we also need personal goals.

I may adopt your list as my own.:)