Sunday, July 27, 2008

A Tribute to Auntie B

My aunt passed away this week. Not only was she my aunt, she was also my 2nd grade teacher. She was a teacher for 32 years. She retired 7 years ago, and loved every minute of it. I can't even remember how many people walked through the line at the funeral home and said, "She was my favorite teacher," or "She made a big difference in my life."

I am not sure she believed she made a difference. I think by the time she left, she was burned out and cynical. But from the number of former students who came to pay their respects, it was obvious she made a huge difference. It was pretty unique that I was her niece, then her student, then a fellow teacher.

I depended on her so much when I started teaching. She helped me set up my first daily schedule, gave me advice on how to handle parents, and taught me wisdom on dealing with students that are diffult to deal with. I will miss her.

Here's to you Auntie B. You did make a difference. I will miss you, and I will always love you very much.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am sorry to hear about the passing of your aunt. May she rest well in Heaven. Lord knows she's earned her spot; she was a teacher!