Wednesday, July 2, 2008

What Will Stick to Cement Walls?

I spent today finishing up my room decorating. What will stick to cinder block walls? I've tried hot glue, sticky tak, glue dots, and every new invention that comes on the market that says "this WILL work," but so far nothing has.

Summer is evaporating before my very eyes. I always hate the Fourth of July--it has always sort of signaled the death of summer in my eyes for some reason. I'm not sure why--just the way my mind works I guess. I can't enjoy the present for worrying about the future. Maybe worrying is not the right word--getting everything done on time is my concern. I will, though, I always do. Someone told me once, "If you had a week, you'd take the whole week. If you only had a day, you would get it done in the day." I think they are probably right. I remember painting my own classroom walls one summer because the maintenance people were so far behind I wouldn't be able to decorate until after school started, and that just wouldn't do. I should have submitted a bill for painting labor to the board office, but it wouldn't have done any good.

Someone I trust compared the classrooms of students in my grade level today. She seems to think I have the most discipline problems. Just when I thought last year's bunch was the worst I could ever possibly have to endure, it turns out I could be wrong. I guess only time will tell. That's another thing about being a veteran teacher. Sometimes I think you get stuck with more of the "challenging" kids because the administration thinks you can handle it. Maybe so, but I would still like to see the "wealth" spread around more equally. I had better get my bluff in on this bunch early!! I do have some good kids, but it seems the "rounders" have ended up with me again, too. It is what it is, so I'll deal with it.

No comments: