Friday, August 1, 2008

The Last Friday

Sounds ominous, huh? It's not the LAST Friday ever, just the last Friday of this summer's vacation. It's back to school on Monday, then kids come Tuesday for the entire day. I am glad I got my room decorated early. We had a death in the family, and I've been in a tailspin ever since. I have to get those plans done, though. I don't even have the first week in place, and that is sooooooooo unlike me. Maybe I am really going to make those changes this time--I pray!

I really do NOT enjoy lesson plans. Unfortunately, it goes with the job.

A retired teacher stopped me today and said she had some of my deceased aunt's books that she needed to return. "I was going to take them back and get some more. I always thought there would be time." Lesson learned. Treat every person as if it's the last time you will see them--because one day, it will be.

It has been an emotional day. The last of the family headed back to their perspective homes, and my house was quiet. The noise of children, chatter of friends, and ringing of the phone had finally stopped. In a way, I was ready for some peace and quiet, but in another way, it was weird. I just sat and cried for a few minutes and hoped it was out of my system. It wasn't sobbing, just crying for a loss. Then, I choked up in front of a friend and had to leave her standing there, which I find embarassing, though I am sure she understood. I guess it will just take time.

Anyway, end of vacation has arrived. For those about to teach, I salute you!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bless you! I can relate to not having prepared lesson plans. I have about a month, and I am already panicking.

I can relate to treating every person as if it is the last time. It gives one the motivation to connect and to spend time more regularly.

BTW: I discovered your blog today. I am glad I did.:)