Tuesday, August 5, 2008

My 24th First Day

Well, I survived another first day--my 24th. For a first day, it went relatively well--no major outburts or criers. (You would think in third grade they would be past crying, but I've had one or two the last few years.)

Only one mama seemed unpleasant. Maybe she didn't mean to be--I don't live her life. She was just very short and kept saying, "but your list said." Well, maybe she thought it said that, but it didn't.

I did not yell or scream, although I did have to speak loudly to get their attention a couple of times. I did, however, hear a friend down the hall already yelling and barking like it was the middle of the year instead of the beginning.

I told this class, like I have told every class, "do what I tell you to do and I'm the nicest person you'll ever meet. Disobey me and then all those people who said I was mean will turn out to be right. It's always your choice. Choose wisely, boys and girls." We'll see if it takes.

I saw two new kindergarten teachers. One had a smile plastered on her face that said, "Yeah, I am surviving, but just barely." I taught Kindergarten at one point and LOVED it, but I would never want to go back. I've aged considerably since then.

I always forget from year to year how much you have to train a class to do things your way. And one thing about this group--boy do they ask questions. Before I can explain or get a sentence out of my mouth, there are hands waving to ask "What if...?" I don't answer very many "what ifs." I just say when it happens, we'll deal with it.

I am exhausted. I left at 4:30, meeting one of the goals I have set for myself. My desk looked pretty bad, but I was just too tired to deal with it. It will be waiting for me tomorrow. I do have to run some labels for folders tonight, but after that, I am taking the night off.

My 9:30 bedtime was not early enough. Think I'll shoot for 9 tonight.

Hope everyone's first day goes well. I'm sure glad mine is over for another year.

And, as always, for those about to teach, I salute you!!!

No comments: