Saturday, August 23, 2008

School Has Officially Made Me Sick

Well, school has officially made me sick. I've had kids with snotty noses and hacking coughs in my face all week, and it finally caught up with me. It started with a scratchy throat on Wednesday night, and by Thursday morning, it was full blown illness. I went to school at 5 AM to get stuff laid out for my sub. On Friday, she was on her own. Luckily, my sub was a retired teacher I used to work with, so I am sure I will find everything in good shape when I return. I thought about going up this afternoon, as my plans are not finished for next week, but my energy level is not back to normal yet, so I put it off until tomorrow. I can go after church. I have a lot to do---finish plans, put out papers, prepare centers, grade papers, then enter the grades in the new mandated computer program. It makes me dizzy just thinking about all of it.

I am feeling better, but I have plans for tonight and I am saving what energy I have for then. I have a DATE. I am so looking forward to actually meeting this man in person. He seems genuine. I talked to him on the phone, and we arranged to meet tongiht for a first date. Cross your fingers for me. It's a shame I got sick right at this particular time, but at least I am feeling better and did not have to cancel. It has been so long since I played the Dating Game, and I had forgotten how exhausting it can be. What to wear was a major decision that took around an hour with several people putting in their opinions. I just keep thinking "You never get a second chance to make a first impression," so I want to look my best. I also just want to have an enjoyable evening. Conversation with someone over 8 and under 70 will be a refreshing change....

When I set out to change my life, I really changed it. My positive outlook is affecting all parts of my life. Good things seem to come my way (other than this unpleasant illness). I am just enjoying feeling alive.

A teacher I work with lost one of her best friends to an accident that occurred on a church outing. It was by the grace of God that she was not there with her family to witness the entire thing. This 36 year old woman left behind a husband and 8 year old daughter. Please keep them in your prayers. They have a rough road ahead. Just another reminder to all of us to treasure every moment.

2 comments:

Cheryl Ann said...

We've only been in school for 4 days and I've already got a cold! Headache, sore throat & general YUCKY feeling! The new teacher in our quad was also sick Friday! WHAT GIVES? 4 DAYS? That's a new record for me and I've taught 23 years!!! WOWZA! What a year!

Cheryl Ann said...

I was sorry to read about the other teacher. I didn't finish reading your post. That is sad. Our attendance clerk died at school last spring of an anurism (sp?). She left behind her family and her daughter who also works at my school. Very sad when these things happen.