Saturday, August 2, 2008

Saturday--But Not in the Park!

Remember that song by the rock group Chicago, "Saturday in the Park?" Hence, my title. If you were born after 1970, you probably never heard of them, but they were big "back in the day."

Anyway, I bought a new laptop computer today. It has major power for gamers. When I checked out, the guy from the Geek Squad said, "Nice computer. What games do you play?" When I told him none, he looked quite shocked. I told him I just wanted MORE POWER. He said I should have plenty. We'll see. I went over my budget by $300, but I figure when the desktop dies, this one can replace it.

I went to school today and started working on my plans for the first week. I was inspired by a random thought and turned it into a week's worth of work. It's not formally compiled or written down yet, but I figure I can sketch it out on Monday. We have opening day for teachers on Monday, but no kids until Tuesday. Unfortunately, they stay allllllllll day the first day. It will be a long week. We have started on a Friday for the past few years, and that worked great.

My life is getting back to normal--thank goodness. I am not ready to rise from bed at the crack of dawn, but I think I am ready to get back into a routine. I've always said, "After about 10 minutes back, it's like you never really left."

My team members do not have their rooms ready. We're talking piles of "stuff" everywhere. One does not surprise me--she is a fly by the seat of your pants kind of gal. The other, however, astonishes me. She is always so precise in all that she does, and is usually ready way before school starts. She told me she was going to make changes. I think she means it. I also think I noticed some weight gain right in her belly--I am thinking she might be pregnant. It wouldn't surprise me a bit--I think she has been wanting to add to the family.

I think she will be good for me this year as I start my journey towards more balance between school and home. She is certainly off to a great start as a role model. (Although I don't think there would be any way I could have let my room go unfinished this long unless it was dire consequences.)

The temperatures for this week are predicted for mid to high 90's, so that will put our heat index over 100. No outdoor recess for a while. I sweat when the A/C is full blast and a personal fan is blowing on me. When kids complain, I tell them to bring a jacket and leave it at school. They can add more clothing, but I can't eliminate any.

I'm off to watch a funny movie.

No comments: